Jennifer Matas updated the drama into a modern-day setting and directed each of the three pieces. Other than some audio issues in the first scene, I thought it really went well.
Script:
Scene 1:
In hushed voices with street noises in the background. Every time F1 or F2 hears footsteps, s/he looks around furtively. It’s all very clandestine.
Friend 2: (Talking on a cell phone while glancing around): Ok. Thanks. If you hear anything at all, at any time, call me right away. (Slaps phone shut.)Friend 1: Hey. Have you seen Peter?
Friend 2: No… He must have followed them into the courtyard. F1: If he’s not careful, they’ll arrest him too. What about Jesus? Did you get any news?
F2: I couldn’t get close enough. There were too many security guards. And the person I just talked to hoped I knew something. How could we know what’s going on?F1: We should know…
F2: Say what?F1: Jesus predicted exactly what was going to happen. And he told us! Don’t you remember when he talked about his blood and broken body? Then he told us to stay awake and pray? He was trying to prepare us for this very night!
F2: I remember. We all heard what he said. Matthew thought he was maybe taking a trip. It was confusing, but they wouldn’t… He can’t die, can he?F1: He said he was leaving…that he was returning to his Father… What else could that mean?
F2: But he’s Christ! He’s supposed to save us! He can’t do that if he’s dead! You’ve seen the things he’s done. If he can walk on water, he has the power to beat this. Remember how he cruised through all those people who were trying to stone him? That situation was even worse! F1: I remember that, but he was different tonight.
F2: OK, fine. But if he wasn’t sure of himself, then why did he fix that guy’s ear back in Gethsemane? F1: That’s what he does! He heals people.
F2: Exactly. It points to the fact that he’s obviously God’s son. The Judge will see that. He’ll be fine, trust me.F1: He did say that our sorrow would turn to joy. That he would be gone for a while, but then he’d return. You really think it’s that simple?
F2: Yeah. He’s Jesus. What could happen to him? F1: You’re right. Hey…we better get out of here. Let’s go.
Peter: You look tired.
Citizen 1: I’m exhausted. I should have been in bed hours ago, but Caiaphus hasn’t adjourned the meeting yet. It looks like it could go on all night.Peter: Sooo…do you know what’s happening?
C1: The whole council is listening to testimony about this Jesus guy. I don’t understand why it can’t wait until morning.P: Who are they bringing in? Who’s testifying?
C1: I didn’t recognize anyone... (with dawning awareness) Wait… You were with him, weren’t you? I know I saw you with Jesus earlier today.P: No way. Not me. I saw him for the first time this week. I don’t even know the guy.
C1: But you’re Galilean. You must know him!P: There are a lot of people from Galilee here in town. I don’t know him, personally. I’m just…curious. People are saying he might be the Messiah?
C1: I’ve heard that too… [Citizen 2 enters and warms himself by the fire.]
C1: Any new developments?C 2: I hope he starts talking soon…for his own sake. He shouts, yells and overturns carts in the temple. He preaches so loudly people two cities away can hear. Now? He hardly says anything. It’s really disturbing to the Council.
P: He’s not defending himself?C2: [shakes head] Not a word—silent as a lamb. He doesn’t even scream when they hit him.
P: They’re HITTING him?C2: What’s it to you? Be glad it’s not you in there.
C1: [Points at Peter] Hey…he’s a Galilean, too. I think I saw him with Jesus.P: I told you once already, I don’t know Jesus!
C2: Are you kidding? Oh…I recognize you! You sliced off my cousin’s ear in Gethsemane!P: God strike me dead if I’m lying! I swear I was not at Gethsemane tonight. I didn’t cut anyone’s ear and I don’t know Jesus!
[The citizens look skeptical as a rooster crows. Peter hears the rooster, buries his face in his hands and runs.]Judas: No, you don’t understand; he’s innocent. How can you punish him when he didn’t commit a crime?
Priest: It’s out of your hands now, Judas. We appreciate the help, but there’s no more to be said or done.
J: But he’s innocent! I betrayed an innocent man!P: Oh no; he’s not innocent—THAT much we know.
J: I can give testimony in his defense! I know others who can. We have the right to be heard…P: Ha ha! We heard you and we heard him. (Leans down, motions Judas over and loudly whispers each word) He thinks he’s God! He lied to you and to so many others; we have no need of your testimony.
J: (frantic): What about all the miracles? He healed the sick! He raised the dead. He cast out demons…No fraud would have that kind of power.P: We’ve been over all this. It was some kind of occult power that allowed him to perform those miracles. Besides, your argument is flawed; if he really was God, how would we be able to convict him? It’s simple really.
J: Please, you have to listen to me… I’ve…sinned… Jesus is telling the truth. I’m finally telling the truth!P: If you think you’ve sinned that is between you and God. It doesn’t change anything here. Be grateful for the money we paid you!
J: No! You can keep your money! I don’t want it!P: Enough! What’s done is done. The money is yours. Today, Jesus pays for his crimes.
No comments:
Post a Comment