I was recently pointed to an article talking about the reasons people write and read Fantasy: http://mythicscribes.com/inspiration/the-power-of-the-genre-why-write-fantasy/
While I agree with most of the ideas presented, there is an aspect of Fantasy (even separate from Science Fiction) that is unique to the genre.
I have found that Fantasy is more about the conceptualization of the human condition than it is about the potentiality. Even Science Fiction deals with real possibilities or the perception of real possibilities, whereas Fantasy is rooted in the impossible. It flexes the imagination as it spins us back into the myths that enchanted us as children and protected us when we lacked understanding.
Normal fiction and even some Science Fiction is definite, unitary and subservient to the laws which codify the human experience. Alter those laws and you give birth to a whole new possibility--an ideational structure that takes us beyond limitations.
The potential in Fantasy isn't to define or redefine, it's highest form is pure creation.
Fantasy lets us be god.
No comments:
Post a Comment