Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Towers of Midnight

Today is release day for for the second-to-last book in the epic fantasy series The Wheel of Time, by Robert Jordan (finished by Brandon Sanderson).

This series holds a special place in my heart. I joined the Science Fiction book club back in 1991 during my junior year of high school, and I had seven to ten books that I was allowed to select for a penny. (It's really a marvelous deal, as long as you remember to send in the little form every month.) I selected the first three books of the Wheel of Time series based on their blurbs, reviews and cover art. The rest is history.

The Wheel of Time wasn't the first fantasy series I'd read. I'd read Narnia, and a couple of series by Stephen Lawhead, but this was the first epic fantasy, and it changed how I viewed fantasy. I loved it in a new and profound way. With great anticipation I waited for each new release in the series, normally rereading all the prior books before the release of the new one.

In the middle to later books, Robert Jordan seemed to struggle. I don't know if it was the sheer number of characters, or the weight of the many storylines, but the pacing of the books slowed, before picking back up again as Jordan neared the finish line of his series. Then, the unthinkable happened. Robert Jordan passed away with the series unfinished. Fortunately, his widow quickly found Brandon Sanderson to finish the series.

For those of you who don't know, Sanderson is a delightful author, and I have to give him a great deal of credit for helping me to understand that I could actually write a book. The Gathering Storm, book 12, was excellent, and Towers of Midnight promises to continue the resolution of plot threads as the overall story nears its climax.

If you're a fan of the series, be sure to grab your copy this week. If you've never heard of the series, pick up Eye of the World, and you can start the journey that has enchanted so many.

No comments:

Post a Comment