It's amazing how two people that have sprung from virtually the same gene pool can have such vastly different demeanors, abilities, and tenacity.
I'm speaking of my sons. The microcosm of their differences was on full display tonight as we partook in the age-old tribute to self-indulgence better known as Trick-or-Treating.
Once my wife had returned from the first go-round with the boys and their younger sister, we left the little ladies at home and me and the boys embarked on a candy grabbing experience that can only be described as purely frenetic. At about the half-way point, my second son (an endless fount of energy) was racing ahead, while his older brother began to lag behind. We completed the circuit, and returned to the house, where #2 emptied his sack into a plastic bad, and announced he was ready for more. #1 plopped on the ground and said, "I'm done."
Half an hour later, #2 had doubled his take - the happy recipient of many people who were anxious to dump excess candy now that the evening's festivities were almost over. He proudly proclaimed himself the victor in the candy arms race over his older brother. To which #1 said, "It's not a race. I wasn't playing."
What #1 doesn't understand is that it IS a race and everyone is playing. He's just playing a different game - and in his head, I'm sure he's winning.
No comments:
Post a Comment